The Aims of this Protocol
The purpose of this protocol and its associated procedures is to contribute towards the safeguarding of all students and staff both during and outside of school hours when they are on our site. The ultimate aim is to ensure that all children and staff learn and work in an environment where they are safe and free from harm.
We have responsibility for the safety and well-being of all of our students anywhere on the school site, during normal school hours, during after school activities and on school organised (and supervised) off-site activities. This policy applies to:
- All employees of the school
- All external visitors entering the school site during the school day or for after school activities (including peripatetic tutors, sports coaches etc.)
- Parents and carers
- Local Authority staff
- Building & Maintenance Contractors
Protocol and Procedures
Before a visitor is invited to the school, there needs to be a clear explanation as to the relevance, purpose date and time of the visit.
- Formal visitors representing the LA, businesses, contractors, outside agencies etc are required to present formal identification.
- All visitors enter the school building through the main gate and report to Administration staff.
- All visitors must state the purpose of their visit and who has invited them or who they wish to see. They should be ready to produce formal identification.
- All visitors are required to sign in using the Inventory System Console outside the reception office.
- All visitors are required to wear an identification badge.
- All visitors are given/shown a copy of the Visitor Information Leaflet detailing information about emergency evacuations procedures and protocol.
- Visitors are escorted to their point of contact OR their point of contact will be asked to come to reception to receive the visitor. The contact will then be responsible for them while they are on site.
On departing, visitors leave via reception and:
- Visitors should sign out on the Inventory Console by the Reception Office and escorted to the gate, by their point of contact.
- Return the identification badge to reception.
Parents and Carers attending organised, in advance meetings, such as parents' evenings and evening intervention meetings, will not be required to wear a lanyard on site during these meetings. The register for the parents evening will be the visitor record book.
Unknown/Uninvited Visitors to the School
Any visitor to the school site who is not wearing an identity badge is challenged politely to enquire who they are and their business on the school site. They should then be escorted to reception to sign the visitors’ system and be issued with an identity badge. The above procedures then apply.
In the event that the visitor refuses to comply, they are asked to leave the site immediately. The Head Master/Deputy Head Master or other Senior Leader will consider the situation and decide if it is necessary to inform the police.
If an unknown/uninvited visitor becomes abusive or aggressive, they will be asked to leave the site immediately and warned that if they fail to leave the school grounds, police assistance will be called for.