Please select the PowerPoint below.
Edexcel GCSE Music: Course Content
- Choose 1 solo and 1 ensemble from vocal or instrumental recordings.
- Choose two compositions from 4 Areas of Study.
- Controlled Assessment. 1 Free Choice Composition and 1 Set Brief by Edexcel.
40% Listening (1 Exam)
- 8 set pieces of music
- Listening questions. 1 essay.
What do the boys do?
Five lessons per fortnight
3 composition. 2 listening.
1 composition per term (6 in Yr 10 and 2 in Yr 11)
1 performance per term (instrumental/vocal)
- Area of Study 1 Listening (Year 10 Terms 1,2)
- Area of Study 2 Listening (Year 10 Terms 3,4)
- Area of Study 3 Listening (Year 10 Terms 5)
- Area of Study 4 Listening (Year 10 Term 6)
Relate work to marking criteria and feed back on progress
The Areas of Study
Area of Study 1: Instrumental Music 1700 - 1820
- Bach (Brandenburg Concerto No.5 3rd Mvt)
- Beethoven Piano Sonata No.8 1st Mvt)
Area of Study 2: Vocal Music
- Purcell (Music for a While)
- Queen (Killer Queen)
Area of Study 3: Music for Stage & Screen
- Schwartz (Defying Gravity)
- Williams (Star Wars ‘Main Title / Rebel Blockade)
Area of Study 4: Fusions
- Afro Celt Sound System (Release)
- Esperanza Spalding (Samba Em Preludio)
Weekly (Daily) @ Home
- Performance Practise
Weekly @ School
- Extra curricular ensembles
- Composition preparation
Termly @ Home
- Revision for tests
How can you support?
15 minutes daily practise
Discuss set works and related music
Test set work fact sheets
Edexcel website, BBC Bitesize revision, free downloadable resources; You tube Edexcel set works
All set works, notes on set works are all on Microsoft SharPpoint
Composition preparation. Sibelius software/ Musescore
Dialogue/ discussion with school